Organization Development (OD) is a philosophy with planned effort, driven by top management to improve organizational performance and organizational health. The OD practitioner works in a manner similar to a physician. First they diagnose, assess, and evaluate the health of the organization; then they prescribe solutions designed to improve the effectiveness of people in the organizataion and the organization itself.
Some typical OD applications are:
- Evaluating and diagnosing systems in the organization to understand areas for improvement.
- Identifying approaches (or "interventions") to improve effectiveness of the organization and its people.
- Planning for and implementing major organizational changes.
- Evaluating service delivery systems.
- Improving the current level of employee engagement.
- Increasing employee accountability.
- Improving the products and services provided to customers.